Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Using tussah silk in goat's milk soap

I had a failed batch last weekend!  Hmph.  I was trying something new so it was a lesson well learned.  Basically, I used my tried-and-true formula that is:
 
26.9% coconut oil
26.9% grapeseed oil
38.5% lard
3.8% castor oil
3.8% shea butter
34% water discount and a 5% superfat
 
Typically I use all goat's milk for the liquid and add 2 TBSP kaolin clay to my oils before blending. 
 
I bought some tussah silk on Ebay and wanted to start using it for every batch.  However, I freeze my goat's milk because it tends to burn when lye is added to it if it's not frozen.  So, I had my plastic container with a slushy goat's milk, and I added the pinch of tussah silk.  Sprinkled on the lye bit by bit.  Once it was all added, the goat's milk looked fine and so I added it to the oils and proceeded from there.
 
(I was trying a mantra swirl for the first time but failed miserably - the husband has to help with that next time I try!  What a mess!)
 
Everything looked ok when I put the mold to bed, but last night when I went to cut it, the creamy white/beige soap had little brown specks all over it!  Feh.
 
So after doing some research online, this is what I've found.  This is from the TalkSoap Forum:
 
When using sodium lactate, salt or some other ingredient that is to dissolve before adding the lye, or ingredients that need the lye to dissolve (like Tussah silk), I'm actually adding more water!

We've discovered that water has no lasting benefit in soap-making process; it is only a conduit to combine the lye and oils then evaporates out of the recipe after it served its purpose. Some discount the water to cure the soap faster.

When using all goat, coconut milks or some other liquid to combine with the lye, I will actually add about 2 ounces of water just to combine the sodium lactate, salt, sugar or other additive that should be dissolved before adding the lye or for Tussah silk that needs to dissolve in the lye water.

After the silk dissolves, I will add the frozen or slushy milk, cream, or fruit/vegetable juice.

I don't think you can't efficiently dissolve the above additives in frozen or slushy milks. When adding the lye directly to goat milk the temperature is low and will not dissolve the Tussah silk. We've also read to discounting the water could result in cracked or dried out soap if adding oatmeal and some other additives that may need to absorb the water.
 
I'm going to follow this advice, since I also plan to try an oatmeal, milk, and honey soap next.  I'm glad I didn't waste my ingredients again and have the oatmeal not work properly either!

No comments:

Post a Comment