Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I'm a total soap n00b

Welcome to my blog! 

In internet parlance, "n00b" indicates "newbie" or someone who is new to something.  That definitely describes me when it comes to making soap!

For the uninitated, there is a somewhat complicated process to making soap.  There are also multiple ways to do it - melt-and-pour, cold process, hot process, and so on.

I've tried the melt-and-pour and was disappointed with the size of the molds that came with the kit.  of course, I know that you can make loaves of melt-and-pour soap, but it looks to me after doing much research, that the lovely swirled soaps that I adore can only be made via hot or cold process.  Thus, I am going to embark on a journey of learning to make cold process soap.

Of course, upon deciding this, I realized that there would be a considerable outlay of start-up fundage.  So far, I've spent about $200 and change on getting kitted out to make this soap.  Some of what I've bought has turned out to be not crucial to the process, but it looked cool on the website.  

Here's what I've gotten so far and where I got it:

Plastic loaf mold - Bulk Apothecary
Shea butter (on backorder, sob!) - Bulk Apothecary
Green block color - Bulk Apothecary
Tea tree essential oil - Bulk Apothecary
Soap cutter - Bulk Apothecary
Miter box (also on backorder, wtf) - Bulk Apothecary
Plastic gloves - stolen from work
Safety glasses - also stolen from work
Stick blender  - Amazon
Digital scale that measures to .5 ounces - Amazon
1 quart of palm oil - Amazon
1 quart of coconut oil - Amazon
2 lb food grade lye beads - Amazon (only because I can't find any at the hardware stores here)
6-pack sampler of fragrance oils - Symphony Scents (holy crap, fast shipping!)
2 candy thermometers - Target
3 plastic pitchers - hallelujah at $1 each - Walmart
Double boiler - Walmart
Green mica colorant - Etsy

I've also bought several books for my iPad and have devoured many videos on YouTube.  It's endlessly fascinating!

So here is my plan - as soon as my Amazon order arrives this week, I will be making my first batch of cold process (CP) soap!  I am hoping to do a 2 pound loaf of green swirled with white, tea tree EO scented.  I still need to figure out my recipe because with the shea butter on back order, I'm not sure what I'll use for my 3rd oil/fat.  When I get it figured out with measurements, I'll post it here.  I am also hoping to rope my husband into taking pictures of the first batch process.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment