Thursday, September 13, 2012

Still no lye!

My ingredients are sad.

 
 

Amazon swears it will be delivered today, just in time for a severely rainy day.  I am concerned about this but hoping for the best.

The fine folks over at the Dish have told me that my recipe has too much hard oil (solid at room temp) and too little soft oil (liquid).  So it's a good thing that the lye didn't come because I would have made crappy soap!  Here's what I'm thinking now:

16 oz Coconut Oil @ 92 degrees
32 oz Olive Oil
16 oz Palm Oil
20.48 oz water
8.97 oz lye
32% water
6% superfat

This way it's 50% soft oil (the olive) and 50% hard oil (the palm/coconut).  I'm also going to give the local meat market a call today and see if they have tallow/suet.  My husband bought me a soapmaking book yesterday that documents how to render your own tallow from suet.  Good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment