Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Rendering Beef Tallow

Recently, I purchased 4 pounds of suet from the local meat market.  I paid $1 extra per pound to have the butcher grind up the suet - worth every penny!

I brought it home and plopped it into my crock pot:




I added about a 1/2 cup of water and let it cook on low.  This was after about 20 minutes:


After checking every 15-20 minutes and giving it a stir, eventually I was left with:


We ladled it into two clear glass bowls and popped them in the fridge:




24 hours later, I had clean white tallow disks on the top of the liquid in the bowls!  I scraped off the gunk on the underside of the disks, broke them up, and plopped them into airtight containers back into the fridge.  I used 24 oz of the tallow in last weekend's pina colada soap.  Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment